The Belem is one of the most well known three masted French ships, one of the most elegant
and well kept of its period. Built with steel by the shipyard of Dubigeon in Chantenay in 1896, for use
in the cocoa trade. In 1913, the Duke of Westminster bought her for use as a yacht. In 1923, she
was sold to Sir A.E. Guinness, who renamed her Fantome II. After many years of
successful navigation, she was purchased in January 1980 by the Paris based "Fondation Belem".