Numbered open edition Lighthouse from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.
(6" x 6")
The shoreline of Northern Oregon remains one of the most spectacular areas of the entire Pacific Coast. This area has long attracted pioneers and adventurers. Realizing the growing need for navigational aids along the coastline, the US Lighthouse Board recommended as early as 1886 that a lighthouse be established at Cape Meares. Construction did not begin until the spring of 1889. The lighthouse was first illuminated on New Years Day in 1890.
Cape Meares Light was built atop a cliff overlooking beautiful Tillamook Bay, with a focal plane of 223 feet above sea level. Although the hexagonal tower was only 38 feet tall, it held one of the finest First Order Fresnel lenses in existence. This exquisite lens was composed of hundreds of prisms and was said to have been one of only two eight-sided lenses in the country. In the early days of operation a five-wick kerosene lamp provided the source of light. By 1910 Cape Meares, along with other Oregon stations, was fitted with a highly efficient incandescent oil lamp, which provided a cleaner, more brilliant flame. Twenty-four years later the introduction of electricity made the task of keeping the lamps lit infinitely easier for the light keepers.
Life for the keepers at Cape Meares was somewhat isolated during the first few years of its existence. Traveling to Tillamook City for supplies was a tedious task. Fortunately keepers were blessed with relatively comfortable living quarters. There were many pleasant memories at the lighthouse, including a lovely wedding at the beacon on Christmas Day in 1901. Assistant Keeper George Higgins married his sweetheart, Amelia Freeman, with the picturesque sentinel as a backdrop for their wedding day.
The beacon was replaced by an automated aero beacon in 1963. The modern light resides atop a 17-foot tall concrete blockhouse. The original station was left to the mercy of the elements for many years after its deactivation. Today, concerned citizens have made a gallant effort to restore the important landmark to its original state. The Friends of Cape Meares are still doing their part to keep this piece of history in good condition for visitors to enjoy for years to come.