D.W. Brunton was a mining engineer in
Colorado, when he took out the patent for his versatile new boxed altazimuth compass in 1894.
Within four years it was
in wide use throughout the world.
Ideal for surveying unexplored terrains, surveyors mapped out new lands and charted coastlines carrying their
compact Brunton compasses. The Brunton
Compass has been the geologist's most trusted tool,
combining the principles of the surveyor's compass,
prismatic compass, clinometer, hand level, and plumb.
The casing opens to reveal folding peep slights and on the inside of the lid
is a mirror with a center line.
Since 1894, Brunton is
still the finest and most respected
field instrument for geologists,
surveyors, miners, civil engineers,
environmental engineers, and
Featured here is the flag ship of
the Company, the Brunton Pocket