The F-84 "Thunderjet", built by Republic, was the USAF's first post-war fighter.
It began rolling off the production lines in June 1947, and by the time
production ceased in 1953, approximately 4,450 "straight-wing" F-84's (in contrast
to the swept-wing F-84F) had been built. In addition to being used by the USAF,
many were supplied to allied nations. The airplane gained its greatest renown during the Korean Conflict where it was
used primarily for low-level interdiction missions. Almost daily the F-84 attacked
enemy railroads, bridges, supply depots and troop concentrations with bombs,
rockets and napalm.
The swept-wing F-84F evolved from the straight-wing F-84. Deliveries began in 1954, primarily to the tactical Air
Command as a ground support fighter bomber.
Republic built 2,112 "F"s while General Motors fabricated an additional 599. Of
these, 1,301 were delivered to NATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance
version, the RF-84F, totaled 718 aircraft, including 386 for allied countries. The
RF-84F featured engine air intakes at the wing roots plus cameras in the nose.
F-84Fs gradually were replaced by supersonic F-100s in the late 1950s and were
turned over to Air National Guard units. However, some F-84Fs were called
back to temporary USAF service in the early 1960s due to the Berlin Crisis.
Source and Link: U.S.A.F. Museum.
(Scale: 1/35.5, Length: 15", Wing Span: 11.5") AM.