RAF No.609 Sqn
This Spitfire was one of a batch of 500 ordered from Vickers-Supermarine and was built at Southampton. It was taken on charge on 22nd September 1940 and was initially delivered to No.609 Squadron at Warmwell on 8th October 1940. While being flown by P/O S.J.Hill of that unit, it had a half share in shooting down a Ju.88 on 21st October, the aircraft being mainly used for interceptor patrols at that time. With this squadron, it was allocated the code letters 'PR-F', which it wears today. On 24th February 1941, it was transferred to No.66 Squadron based at Exeter, from where it carried out interception and convoy patrols before being allocated to No.57 O.T.U. on 7th April, followed by No.303 Squadron at Speke on 18th July. It was then stored, followed by a series of minor accidents, which were duly repaired. On 20th March 1944, its useful life was considered over and X4590 was transferred from one Maintenance Unit to another, ending up in Cardiff where it was packed for museum purposes. It was then used as a travelling exhibit at recruiting exhibitions by the RAF Exhibition Flight at Bicester, until it was finally transferred into the care of the Colerne collection in 1970 and was also displayed at Finningly and Cosford for a while prior to being installed in the Battle of Britain Museum at Hendon in 1978. The ground instructional serial 8384M is allocated to this aircraft, but is not carried on the airframe.
Scale: 1/32, Wingspan: 14", Length: 11.75"
Loose Parts: (not suitable for young children)
Moveable control surfaces
Working flaps and rudder
Removable engine panels