First flown in May 1958, the McDonnell Douglas Phantom II fighter originally was developed for U.S. Navy fleet defense as an interceptor, and entered NAVY service in
1961 as the F-4A. The U.S.A.F. evaluated it for close air support, interdiction, and counter-air operations and, in 1962, approved a
new version. The U.S.A.F.'s Phantom II, designated F-4C, made its first flight on May 27, 1963.
In its air-to-ground role the F-4 can carry twice the normal bomb load of a WW II B-17.
Improved versions of the Phantom, the F-4D, F-4E, and F-4J were built in the late 1960's. Phantom II production
ended in 1979 after 5,195 had been built: more than 2,600 for the U.S.A.F., about 1,200 for the Navy and Marine
Corps, and the rest for friendly foreign nations.
Source and Links: U.S.A.F. Museum.
Handcrafted wooden airplane model with wood desk stand.
(Scale: 1/45, Length: 17", Wing Span: 11")