Numbered limited edition Lighthouse collectible from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.
7" x 7"
Known as Oregonís second lighthouse in operation, this proud nautical symbol sits just south of the entrance to Coos Bay. Although itís difficult to get very close to this popular monument, it is still a sight to behold, even from a distance!
The 44 foot high tower was illuminated in 1934. Before this current beacon was lit, there were two other lighthouses built on Cape Arago. The first was lit in 1866 and the second in 1909.
Both previous lighthouses endured harsh elements, which called for various repairs and refurbishments. Erosion eventually threatened the second beacon. It was decided, for the third time, to build a new lighthouse. They made a smart choice this round and built the new structure out of reinforced concrete. The sturdy lighthouse was home to a Fourth Order lens and was similar in design to Point Robinson Lighthouse in Washington.
Today you can still see a reminder of those lost lighthouses. Debris from the first lighthouse sits at the end of the island and a private owner converted the remaining portions of the second lighthouse into an office.
The present Cape Arago Light was automated in 1966. The footbridge to the island is fenced off and currently there is no public access to the lighthouse. To get the best view of this historic beacon, it is suggested to drive through Charleston, pass Sunset Bay State Park and watch for a viewpoint on the right.