Numbered limited edition Lighthouse collectible from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.
Still an active aid to navigation, Hospital Point takes its name from a hospital built on the same site to fight smallpox.
Beverly was once an active port for fishing and trade; however, the establishment of the Lighthouse at Hospital Point was primarily for the great whaling and fishing community of Salem.
Established in 1871, this magnificent 45’ white brick pyramidal tower was built at a cost of $30,000 “to complete the lighting of Salem Harbor.” Interestingly, this same appropriation built not only Hospital Point but also lighthouses at Salem's Derby Wharf and Fort Pickering.
Hospital Point had a 3.5 Order Fresnel Lens unusual for a New England Lighthouse, more unusual was the condensing panel placed in front of the lens. This panel diminishes the light intensity should a mariner veer away from the main channel.
In 1927, Hospital Point became known as Hospital Point Front Range Light with the Rear Range Light being the steeple of the First Baptist Church. The Church with a Harbor Light was approximately one mile away, on Cabot Street, in Beverly.
A window of the steeple is where the light is hung 127’ above mean high water. In 1975, a fire with only the steeple surviving devastated the First Baptist Church!
At the time of World War II, the Keeper’s house wan enlarged and made into a barracks for some 20 men responsible for patrolling the shores.
Automated in 1947, the Lighthouse serves as the home for the commander of the First Coast Guard District.
Keepers and their families isolated by duty were not forgotten at Christmas!
The tradition of The Flying Santa began in 1929 and continues today! William Wincapaw started his flights to Lighthouse Keepers and the crews of lifesaving stations in recognition of the valor and hard work. Joined by his son, Wincapaw recruited famed historian Edward Rowe Snow to keep the tradition alive!