Retired Numbered limited edition Lighthouse collectible from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.
4" x 7"
The meandering St. Lawrence River, with its numerous islands and graceful beauty, beckons to mariners and fisherman alike. But the treacherous outcroppings and shifting shoals have caught even the most experienced sailors unaware - creating a need for lighthouses along the river as commerce increased.
One particularly difficult channel, divided by three tiny islands, became especially hazardous to vessels traversing the Canadian side of the channel. With the increased traffic to and from Alexandria Bay, officials knew that it was only a matter of time before a tragedy would occur. In 1870, workers erected a beautiful lighthouse that would stand alone on the remote, isolated outcropping know as 'Sister' or 'Sisters' Island.
The first lightkeeper assigned to live and work at the state was William Dodge, a retired military officer. Dodge served 23 years, keeping the light burning, recording the passage of every ship, noting expenses, and logging the weather conditions each day. Dodge's son replaced his father as lightkeeper and went on to serve 28 years at this secluded sentinel.
An automated buoy replaced the need for the lighthouse in the 1950s.