Retired Numbered limited edition Lighthouse collectible from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.
6" x 6"
Daufuskie Island flourished in the early 1700's with its elaborate plantations and fertile waters. In the nineteenth century, farmers switched from producing rice to harvesting cotton and the plantation owners flourished in newfound wealth. By the mid-1800's, there were as many as ten plantations on Daufuskie.
In 1873, workers completed Haig Point Lighthouse, also known as Daufuskie Island Range Beacon, working in conjunction with another light, 75 miles away. Built on the grounds of a former plantation, Haig Point Lighthouse withstood powerful storms, earthquakes, and the U.S. Civil War. After the Civil War, the plantation community faltered. Although deactivated from 1934-1987, keepers restored the lighthouse under the guidance of William Phillips, the head architect of Colonial Williamsburg.
The two-story, wooden Victorian house supports a square, forty-foot tower with a fifth order Fresnel lens. It is on a private island; not open to the public. The only way to view the lighthouse is from the water.