On the northeastern tip of Long Island, a handsome lighthouse rises from a bluff. Established in 1857, Horton Point Light guided mariners away from treacherous boulders lurking beneath the waves. A century earlier, a 25-year old surveyor and future president, George Washington recommended that a lighthouse be built here. Horton Point's most well known keeper was a young lady named Stella Prince, one of a number of women who answered the call to keep the flame. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1932 and replaced by an automated beacon on a skeleton tower. In 1990, the Southold Historical Society, along with the local park service and Coast Guard, renovated the property. The unsightly skeletal tower was removed, and the beacon was transferred to the lighthouse. On June 1, 1990, the lighthouse was officially placed back in service!
Retired Numbered limited edition Lighthouse collectible from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.
(5" x 6")
Harbour Lights photo by Paul L. Brady. © Harbour Lights.
December 13, 2001